Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos on Thursday announced that the Trump administration is rolling back sexual assault guidelines issued by former President Barack Obama’s administration.“The system established by the prior administration has failed too many students,” DeVos said during a speech at George Mason University in Arlington, Virginia. “That’s why we must do better, because the current approach isn’t working.”In 2011, the Obama administration told colleges and universities that they have an obligation under Title IX to combat sexual harassment and sexual assault on campus. If colleges and universities do not meet that obligation, the Obama administration threatened to pull their federal funding. Read more.
Long before he became President Donald Trump’s White House communications director, Anthony Scaramucci was a simple hedge fund manager getting shut down by Barack Obama.
In 2010, as the nation was digging its way out of the 2008 financial collapse, Scaramucci took the microphone at a CNBC town hall to ask the then-president — a former Harvard classmate and sometimes opponent on the basketball court — whether he planned to “stop whacking at the Wall Street piñata.”
Scaramucci didn’t get the answer he was looking for. Read more. (7/22/17, 11:44 PM)
- Since Trump’s election, conservatives are outraged on behalf of Trump — at Kathy Griffin, at the New York Times and at various others who offend the sensibilities of the president’s fans.
- Their next target: free Shakespeare plays.
- Delta Air Lines and Bank of America are dropping their charitable donations to the Public Theater in New York City after Fox News drummed up outrage over a summer production of Julius Caesar.
- In the production, characters are stylized in modern garb, and the portrayal of Caesar, who is assassinated in the play, has drawn comparisons to President Donald Trump.
- The outrage is over what conservatives assert is portrayal of the president being killed.
- The production of Julius Caesar is part of New York’s celebrated Shakespeare in the Park series, which puts on plays featuring celebrity talent for free.
- By pulling funding from the Public Theater, they stop subsidizing access to world-class performances for poor and working-class people. Read more (6/12/17)
What does former President Barack Obama, Kerry Washington and Jon Hamm all have in common? They struggled with student loans for years into their professional lives. If you have debt, you’re not alone.
Syrian artist Abdalla Omari depicts world leaders as refugees. He’s hoping the project will motivate world leaders to relate to refugees.