4chan tried to lure immigrants into deportation traps. It didn’t…
- Users of the notorious message board 4chan reportedly tried to have undocumented immigrants deported by offering them free iced coffee.
- As first reported by BuzzFeed News, users of 4chan’s /pol subforum, a space for “politically incorrect” discussion, hatched a plan to promote “Dreamer Day,” a fictitious event at which Starbucks would offer free drinks to undocumented immigrants.
- When they arrived as Starbucks, agents of Immigration and Customs Enforcement would be waiting, having been alerted by 4chan users.
- An ICE official told Mic that the agency was in no way involved in the plan and didn’t approve of it.
- “We certainly would not participate in any kind of scheme like this. This kind of thing is irresponsible and potentially dangerous and it’s not something we would be a part of,” the agent said. Read more (8/7/17)