Philadelphia’s new pride flag honors LGBTQ people…
- Philadelphia’s new LGBTQ pride flag includes two new stripes, one black and one brown, to highlight people of color in the LGBTQ community.
- The flag’s mere existence caused extreme outrage on all corners of social media and led to multiple contentious comment threads on Facebook and Twitter.
- Among some of the most popular arguments against the flag were that it perverted the original intent of the flag’s creator, Gilbert Baker, who they say never meant for the flag to be about race.
- Others called the flag “racist” for highlighting black and brown people in the community.
- But, according to Amber Hikes, executive director of Philadelphia’s Office of LGBT Affairs and a black queer woman, seeing the flag without the crucial Philadelphia context is to miss the whole story. Read more (6/15/17)